Subject: Re: bug#10125: 24.0.91; package.el (org): Macros in tar packages & order of byte compilation

From: Stelian Iancu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 23:55:48 +0100

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 20:09, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Jambunathan K wrote:
>
>> When compiling with package manager, the compilation happens from within
>> a running Emacs session and very likely the "old" Org files are already
>> loaded in to the runtime "inadvertently" by the user either by looking
>> at the org agenda for the day or may be by just viewing an Org file or
>> by the plain old (require 'org-whatever) out of habit in .emacs.
>
> There's your problem. The only way to reliably compile, especially
> something where an old version might already be loaded, is to use a
> fresh Emacs instance. There's no reason the "package manager" could not
> spawn a separate Emacs in batch-mode as a sub-job to do the compilation.
>
> cc-mode tries to have some voodoo to get around this, but please, please
> don't go down that road.
>
> I guess nobody ever expected the package manager to be used to load a
> different version of something that was already in Emacs.
>

I am sorry to be asking a stupid question, but then, wouldn't restart
Emacs fix the issue and have the new compiled org files loaded? In my
case, that didn't seem to happen either (even though load-library
showed org-compat to be from ELPA).