Subject: bug#10125: closed (Re: bug#10125: 24.0.91; package.el (org): Macros in tar packages & order of byte compilation)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 04:01:03 +0000

Your bug report

#10125: 24.0.91; package.el (org): Macros in tar packages & order of byte compilation

which was filed against the emacs,org-mode package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
10125: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10125
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#10125: 24.0.91; package.el (org): Macros in tar packages & order of byte compilation
From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 06:03:31 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is one of the most frequently reported problems in Org mailing
list.  This is also one of the problems that the current maintainer
understands very poorly.

Anyways closing the bug as OP.

Subject: 24.0.91; package.el (org): Macros in tar packages & order of byte compilation
From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Stelian Iancu <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 17:42:38 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

There have been constant flow of issues from users who install daily org
tar balls from GNU ELPA.

The problem concerns itself with the defmacros that are introduced in
the *daily* tar but are *unavailable* in the *emacs* core. At the end of
the package installation these new macros never get recognized as macros
and gets compiled in as function calls. This triggers crashes at a later
stage.

Note that there are no such defmacro issues that get reported from users
who install org from git repo using conventional make and make install.

The crux of the issue is this:

1. While building via Makefile, there is an implicit dependency that is
*enforced* via make rules and files with macro definitions are compiled
ahead of their consumers.

2. While building from ELPA, the compilation order seems to be
alphabetical. So the files get compiled bass ackwards. For example,
org-macs.el gets compiled after org-agenda.el.

In summary, there needs to be a way to specify the order in which files
are compiled in a multifile tar.

A supplementary question to (2):

During the package compilation, when encountering (require
'some-org-library-with-macros) does the library get loaded from *within*
the tarball or from the *emacs core*.

I hope this description is sufficient. I can cite actual posts from
orgmode mailing list if additional information is needed.