Subject: Re: bug#10118: Fwd: GNU bugs information: logs for bug#10118

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 18:32:11 +0200

>> I've been thinking a bit about this, and I'd like to propose this
>> solution:
>>
>> 1. Never downcase the text yanked into the search ring, because we
>> must remember the original text supplied by the user.  This implies
>> that the variable `search-upper-case' will not care about the value
>> `not-yanks' anymore.
>>
>> 2. When `search-upper-case' is non-nil, upper case chars will make the
>> search case-sensitive, but only when typed right from the keyboard,
>> i.e., not when grabbing text from another place (kill ring, buffer or
>> whatever).  This way, the search will be case-insensitive by default
>> (quite reasonable), and will only switch to case-sensitive under
>> explicit request from the user (either by _typing_ an upper case char
>> or "M-c").
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Sounds good to me!

Then UI won't be WYSIWYG.  There will be upper-case characters
in the isearch message, but the search will ignore them.