Subject: bug#1011 closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#1011: Error when running M-x customize-group)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#1011: Error when running M-x customize-group

It has been closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1011: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1011
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems
>From [email-masked] Sat Sep 20 14:58:10 2008
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: bug#1011: Error when running M-x customize-group
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 17:56:06 -0400

Thanks; fixed.

2008-09-20  Glenn Morris  <[email-masked]>

        * emacs-lisp/lisp-mode.el (lisp-indent-offset):
        Fix custom type.  (Bug#1011)

>From [email-masked] Sat Sep 20 14:26:50 2008
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:26:36 -0700
From: "Geoff Gole" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Error when running M-x customize-group

When running the command M-x customize-group RET lisp RET, emacs will
display an lisp error in the minibuffer and cease processing the
customize buffer (leaving point at the bottom). This problem occurs
both for emacs and emacs -Q, but does _not_ occur with a previous
version of emacs I have installed (M-x version on that emacs reports
"GNU Emacs 22.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-08-18 on TPAD").

Reproducing the problem after M-x toggle-debug-on-error results in the
following backtrace. Note that some [:nonascii:] and [:cntrl:]
characters have been replaced with '#' to work around a problem
pasting them into my mail client. If the original information would be
useful, let me know and I'll figure out a way to get at it.

Backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function nil)
  nil((nil) nil)
  widget-apply((nil) :match nil)
  widget-choice-match((choice :args ((nil) (integer :value "0"))) nil)
  widget-apply((choice :args ((nil) (integer :value "0"))) :match nil)
  custom-variable-value-create((custom-variable :group (custom-group
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp
:buttons (... ... ...) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 622 to 626 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args ... :indent
0 :parent #1 :children ... :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at
694 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize
Group: Lisp*>)) :tag "Lisp Indent Offset" :custom-prefixes ("lisp-")
:custom-level 2 :value lisp-indent-offset :parent (custom-group
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp
:buttons (... ... ...) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 622 to 626 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args ... :indent
0 :parent #1 :children ... :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at
694 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize
Group: Lisp*>)) :indent 0 :custom-form edit))
  widget-apply((custom-variable :group (custom-group
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp
:buttons (... ... ...) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 622 to 626 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args ... :indent
0 :parent #1 :children ... :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at
694 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize
Group: Lisp*>)) :tag "Lisp Indent Offset" :custom-prefixes ("lisp-")
:custom-level 2 :value lisp-indent-offset :parent (custom-group
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp
:buttons (... ... ...) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 622 to 626 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args ... :indent
0 :parent #1 :children ... :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at
694 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize
Group: Lisp*>)) :indent 0 :custom-form edit) :value-create)
  widget-default-create((custom-variable :group (custom-group
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp
:buttons (... ... ...) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 622 to 626 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args ... :indent
0 :parent #1 :children ... :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at
694 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize
Group: Lisp*>)) :tag "Lisp Indent Offset" :custom-prefixes ("lisp-")
:custom-level 2 :value lisp-indent-offset :parent (custom-group
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp
:buttons (... ... ...) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 622 to 626 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args ... :indent
0 :parent #1 :children ... :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at
694 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize
Group: Lisp*>)) :indent 0 :custom-form edit))
  widget-apply((custom-variable :group (custom-group
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp
:buttons (... ... ...) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 622 to 626 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args ... :indent
0 :parent #1 :children ... :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at
694 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize
Group: Lisp*>)) :tag "Lisp Indent Offset" :custom-prefixes ("lisp-")
:custom-level 2 :value lisp-indent-offset :parent (custom-group
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp
:buttons (... ... ...) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 622 to 626 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args ... :indent
0 :parent #1 :children ... :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at
694 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize
Group: Lisp*>)) :indent 0 :custom-form edit) :create)
  widget-create-child-and-convert((custom-group :documentation-shown t
:custom-state unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp :buttons
((custom-group-link :tag "Font Lock Faces group" :args nil :value
font-lock-faces :button-face custom-link :mouse-face highlight
:pressed-face highlight :parent #0 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay
from 792 to 813 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :from #<marker (moves
after insertion) at 792 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at
813 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>) (documentation-string :args nil
:value "Lisp support, including Emacs Lisp." :indent 0 :parent #0
:doc-overlay #<overlay from 744 to 779 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>
:buttons nil :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 744 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 780 in *Customize Group:
Lisp*>) (custom-magic :args ... :indent 0 :parent #0 :children ...
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 694 in *Customize Group:
Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>))
:sample-overlay #<overlay from 622 to 626 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>
:custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #0 :children
(...) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 694 in *Customize
Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>))
custom-variable :group (custom-group :documentation-shown t
:custom-state unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp :buttons
((custom-group-link :tag "Font Lock Faces group" :args nil :value
font-lock-faces :button-face custom-link :mouse-face highlight
:pressed-face highlight :parent #0 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay
from 792 to 813 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :from #<marker (moves
after insertion) at 792 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at
813 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>) (documentation-string :args nil
:value "Lisp support, including Emacs Lisp." :indent 0 :parent #0
:doc-overlay #<overlay from 744 to 779 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>
:buttons nil :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 744 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 780 in *Customize Group:
Lisp*>) (custom-magic :args ... :indent 0 :parent #0 :children ...
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 694 in *Customize Group:
Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>))
:sample-overlay #<overlay from 622 to 626 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>
:custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #0 :children
(...) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 694 in *Customize
Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>)) :tag
"Lisp Indent Offset" :custom-prefixes ("lisp-") :custom-level 2 :value
lisp-indent-offset)
  #[(entry) "##!#####_##\"##T##\n#A@#\n###@!#\f##T##@&\fh#=#0###!##"
[count length widget entry custom-prefix-list level widget-insert "\n"
message "Creating group members... %2d%%" 100.0
widget-create-child-and-convert :group :tag custom-unlispify-tag-name
:custom-prefixes :custom-level :value 10] 13]((lisp-indent-offset
custom-variable))
  mapcar(#[(entry)
"##!#####_##\"##T##\n#A@#\n###@!#\f##T##@&\fh#=#0###!##" [count length
widget entry custom-prefix-list level widget-insert "\n" message
"Creating group members... %2d%%" 100.0
widget-create-child-and-convert :group :tag custom-unlispify-tag-name
:custom-prefixes :custom-level :value 10] 13]
((eval-expression-print-level custom-variable)
(eval-expression-print-length custom-variable)
(eval-expression-debug-on-error custom-variable) (defun-prompt-regexp
custom-variable) (parens-require-spaces custom-variable)
(emacs-lisp-mode-hook custom-variable) (lisp-mode-hook
custom-variable) (lisp-interaction-mode-hook custom-variable)
(lisp-indent-offset custom-variable) (lisp-body-indent
custom-variable) (emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column custom-variable)
(safe-functions custom-variable) (inferior-lisp custom-group) (pp
custom-group) (bytecomp custom-group) (advice custom-group) (eldoc
custom-group) (checkdoc custom-group) (cust-print custom-group)
(edebug custom-group) (elp custom-group) (find-function custom-group)
(gmm custom-group) (ielm custom-group) (lisp-indent custom-group)
(lisp-shadow custom-group) (re-builder custom-group) (scheme
custom-group) (testcover custom-group) (trace custom-group) (warnings
custom-group) (xscheme custom-group)))
  custom-group-value-create((custom-group :documentation-shown t
:custom-state unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp :buttons
((custom-group-link :tag "Font Lock Faces group" :args nil :value
font-lock-faces :button-face custom-link :mouse-face highlight
:pressed-face highlight :parent #0 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay
from 792 to 813 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :from #<marker (moves
after insertion) at 792 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at
813 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>) (documentation-string :args nil
:value "Lisp support, including Emacs Lisp." :indent 0 :parent #0
:doc-overlay #<overlay from 744 to 779 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>
:buttons nil :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 744 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 780 in *Customize Group:
Lisp*>) (custom-magic :args ... :indent 0 :parent #0 :children ...
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 694 in *Customize Group:
Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>))
:sample-overlay #<overlay from 622 to 626 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>
:custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #0 :children
(...) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 694 in *Customize
Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>)))
  widget-apply((custom-group :documentation-shown t :custom-state
unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp :buttons ((custom-group-link :tag
"Font Lock Faces group" :args nil :value font-lock-faces :button-face
custom-link :mouse-face highlight :pressed-face highlight :parent #0
:indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 792 to 813 in *Customize
Group: Lisp*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 792 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 813 in *Customize Group:
Lisp*>) (documentation-string :args nil :value "Lisp support,
including Emacs Lisp." :indent 0 :parent #0 :doc-overlay #<overlay
from 744 to 779 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :buttons nil :from
#<marker (moves after insertion) at 744 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>
:to #<marker at 780 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>) (custom-magic :args
... :indent 0 :parent #0 :children ... :from #<marker (moves after
insertion) at 694 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*>)) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 622 to 626
in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil)
:indent 0 :parent #0 :children (...) :from #<marker (moves after
insertion) at 694 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*>)) :value-create)
  widget-default-create((custom-group :documentation-shown t
:custom-state unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp :buttons
((custom-group-link :tag "Font Lock Faces group" :args nil :value
font-lock-faces :button-face custom-link :mouse-face highlight
:pressed-face highlight :parent #0 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay
from 792 to 813 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :from #<marker (moves
after insertion) at 792 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at
813 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>) (documentation-string :args nil
:value "Lisp support, including Emacs Lisp." :indent 0 :parent #0
:doc-overlay #<overlay from 744 to 779 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>
:buttons nil :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 744 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 780 in *Customize Group:
Lisp*>) (custom-magic :args ... :indent 0 :parent #0 :children ...
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 694 in *Customize Group:
Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>))
:sample-overlay #<overlay from 622 to 626 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>
:custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #0 :children
(...) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 694 in *Customize
Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>)))
  widget-apply((custom-group :documentation-shown t :custom-state
unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp :buttons ((custom-group-link :tag
"Font Lock Faces group" :args nil :value font-lock-faces :button-face
custom-link :mouse-face highlight :pressed-face highlight :parent #0
:indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 792 to 813 in *Customize
Group: Lisp*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 792 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 813 in *Customize Group:
Lisp*>) (documentation-string :args nil :value "Lisp support,
including Emacs Lisp." :indent 0 :parent #0 :doc-overlay #<overlay
from 744 to 779 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :buttons nil :from
#<marker (moves after insertion) at 744 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>
:to #<marker at 780 in *Customize Group: Lisp*>) (custom-magic :args
... :indent 0 :parent #0 :children ... :from #<marker (moves after
insertion) at 694 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*>)) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 622 to 626
in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil)
:indent 0 :parent #0 :children (...) :from #<marker (moves after
insertion) at 694 in *Customize Group: Lisp*> :to #<marker at 744 in
*Customize Group: Lisp*>)) :create)
  widget-create(custom-group :documentation-shown t :custom-state
unknown :tag "Lisp" :value lisp)
  #[(entry) "##A@#######@!##@&##" [entry widget-create
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag
custom-unlispify-tag-name :value] 10]((lisp custom-group))
  mapcar(#[(entry) "##A@#######@!##@&##" [entry widget-create
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag
custom-unlispify-tag-name :value] 10] ((lisp custom-group)))
  custom-buffer-create-internal(((lisp custom-group)) " for group Lisp")
  custom-buffer-create(((lisp custom-group)) "*Customize Group: Lisp*"
" for group Lisp")
  customize-group("lisp")
  call-interactively(customize-group)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

Output from M-x report-emacs-bug:

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-03-26 on RELEASE
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  encoded-kbd-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x t o g g l e - d e b u g - o n - e r r o r <return>
M-x c u s t o m o z e - <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> i z e - g r o u p <return> l i s p <return>
M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading cus-edit...done
Creating customization items...
Loading cl-indent...done
Creating group...
Creating group members... 25%
Loading debug...done
Entering debugger...
Loading emacsbug...
Loading regexp-opt...done
Loading emacsbug...done