Subject: bug#1010: 23.0.60; call-interactively doc

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 18:57:25 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> The doc for `call-interactively', both Elisp manual and doc string,
> could perhaps be improved slightly by changing "reading args" to
> "providing args".

Yes, I think you're right.  In case of the "r" spec, for instance,
there's little "reading" going on, but it does provide the point/mark to
the function.

I'm guessing the intention was to say that it would prompt the user for
stuff, if the interactive spec is a prompting one.

I've now made the change.

> It's still good to say, in a separate sentence, that this might entail
> reading, depending on the `interactive' spec for the individual
> arguments. The point is that "calling interactively" does not
> necessarily involve anything interactive (input from the user). It
> just calls the command providing arguments as determined by the
> `interactive' spec, which _might_ require reading user input.
>
> In the Elisp manual, a simple example might illustrate what
> `call-interactively' is typically used for.

I've added an example to the manual.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/