Subject: Tramp method completions

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 16:08:32 -0400

Hi,

I reported this bug to the tramp-devel mailing list and was told that
this bug was already reported as Bug#10085.

This bug is still present in GNU Emacs 25.0.92.1

Should I open up a new bug report and have Bug#10085 merged
with it so that this old bug (initially reported in November, 2011).
may receive renewed attention?  Or should I just add my bug report
to Bug#10085 as I am now doing?

Here is my bug report below.

Thanks.

I'm having a problem with Tramp and completion.

1. I type C-x C-f (find-file)
   I see "Find file: ~/ in the echo area
2. I type /ssh: and TAB
   I see as completion candidates

Click on a completion to select it.
In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

Possible completions are:
ssh:127.0.0.1:
ssh:localhost.localdomain:
ssh:localhost:

3. I type : so the prompt now displays:

    Find file: ~//ssh::

4. I press TAB and see the error:

Tramp: Opening connection for ssh using ssh...failed

Now the prompt says:

  Find file: ~//ssh:ssh:

and, of course, if I were to press another TAB it would yields
a "[No match]" message

5. If I then remove the ~/ and second ssh from prompt so that it
   now displays:

     Find file: /ssh::

  and press TAB, the completion candidates now yield:

Click on a completion to select it.
In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

Possible completions are:
ssh:127.0.0.1: 	ssh:localhost.localdomain:
ssh:localhost: 	ssh:ssh:

Why was ssh:ssh added as a completion canidate?

This probably why the prompt now shows:

  Find file: /ssh:ssh

6. If I then remove the second ssh: so that prompt shows:

     Find file: /ssh::

  and press TAB, I get the error:

Tramp: Opening connection for ssh using ssh...failed

 and the prompt returns back to:

  Find file: /ssh:ssh:

It appears that once Tramp gets ahold of ~// it doesn't
let go.

This is into contrast to not invoking Tramp.

Consider:

 C-x C-f

and the prompt

 Find file: ~/

and typing /etc so that the prompt is now:

  Find file: ~//etc

Pressing TAB yields

  Find file: ~//etc/

and another TAB shows the files in /etc as completion
canndidates.

The ~/ here (and in Tramp after step 2 above) is greyed out.

Also, it appears that

   ~//ssh:: TAB
   ~//ssh:localhost: TAB

behave diffently as it appears that ~//ssh:localhost: TAB works as I
expect whereas ~//ssh:: TAB does not.

Perhaps :: doesn't imply localhost?

Thanks.