Subject: bug#10085: 24.0.91; completion-pcm--find-all-completions returns wrong remote file names

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 21:28:41 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Shall I submit such a patch towards rfn-eshadow.el, for the sake of the
>> upcoming release?
>
> You can even install it now.

Done.

> As I have shown with the trace, Tramp treats "/sud:" and "/sudo:"
> differently, making the ":" a boundary separator in the first case but
> not in the second.  It's not strictly incorrect, but it is inconsistent
> and makes it harder for the minibuffer.el code to behave well.

Tramp does not know of programmed completion and pcm style completion;
all what it knows is file-name-all-completions. What else could Tramp
do?

>> I guess we need to find out, what are separators in Tramp wrt
>> completion tables, and how to handle them.
>
> The user finds out, the implementer decides.

Oh. You haven't seen Tramp's heuristic to determine, whether completion
of "/sudo" means the method or the user or the host (in fact, it is all).

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.