Subject: bug#10074: closed (Re: bug#10074: 23.2; emacs rgrep on Windows/Cygwin: FIND: Parameter format not correct)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#10074: 23.2; emacs rgrep on Windows/Cygwin: FIND: Parameter format not correct

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
10074: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10074
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#10074: 23.2; emacs rgrep on Windows/Cygwin: FIND: Parameter format not correct
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 13:58:04 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 22:36:55 -0800
> From: Xah Lee <[email-masked]>
> 
> FIND: Parameter format not correct

This is Windows find.exe, which is a completely different program,
getting confused over the way Emacs calls it.

You need to change your Path to have the ported GNU find.exe earlier
on Path than C:\WINDOWS\system32 (or wherever the Windows program
lives), or rename the GNU find.exe to something like gfind.exe and
customize Emacs to call that instead.

I'm closing this bug, because its reason is your system
configuration.  Emacs cannot do anything about that, it just calls the
first find.exe it finds along your Path.

> It appears, that the problem is because emacs is calling cmd.exe's
> grep, not cygwin.

The problem is with `find', not with `grep'.

> Perhaps `grep-compute-defaults' should know about it.

grep-compute-defaults has nothing to do with the problem, so it cannot
fix it.

Subject: 23.2; emacs rgrep on Windows/Cygwin: FIND: Parameter format not correct
From: Xah Lee <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 22:36:55 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This seems to be a bug. Steps to reproduce:

• Start GNU Emacs with -Q.

• call “rgrep”. Search for anything.

• You get the following result:

──────────────────────────────
-*- mode: grep; default-directory: "c:/Users/h3/web/xahlee_org/emacs/" -*-
Grep started at Thu Nov 17 00:49:37

find . "(" -path "*/SCCS" -o -path "*/RCS" -o -path "*/CVS" -o -path
"*/MCVS" -o -path "*/.svn" -o -path "*/.git" -o -path "*/.hg" -o -path
"*/.bzr" -o -path "*/_MTN" -o -path "*/_darcs" -o -path "*/{arch}" ")"
-prune -o "(" -name ".#*" -o -name "*.o" -o -name "*~" -o -name
"*.bin" -o -name "*.bak" -o -name "*.obj" -o -name "*.map" -o -name
"*.ico" -o -name "*.pif" -o -name "*.lnk" -o -name "*.a" -o -name
"*.ln" -o -name "*.blg" -o -name "*.bbl" -o -name "*.dll" -o -name
"*.drv" -o -name "*.vxd" -o -name "*.386" -o -name "*.elc" -o -name
"*.lof" -o -name "*.glo" -o -name "*.idx" -o -name "*.lot" -o -name
"*.fmt" -o -name "*.tfm" -o -name "*.class" -o -name "*.fas" -o -name
"*.lib" -o -name "*.mem" -o -name "*.x86f" -o -name "*.sparcf" -o
-name "*.fasl" -o -name "*.ufsl" -o -name "*.fsl" -o -name "*.dxl" -o
-name "*.pfsl" -o -name "*.dfsl" -o -name "*.p64fsl" -o -name
"*.d64fsl" -o -name "*.dx64fsl" -o -name "*.lo" -o -name "*.la" -o
-name "*.gmo" -o -name "*.mo" -o -name "*.toc" -o -name "*.aux" -o
-name "*.cp" -o -name "*.fn" -o -name "*.ky" -o -name "*.pg" -o -name
"*.tp" -o -name "*.vr" -o -name "*.cps" -o -name "*.fns" -o -name
"*.kys" -o -name "*.pgs" -o -name "*.tps" -o -name "*.vrs" -o -name
"*.pyc" -o -name "*.pyo" ")" -prune -o  -type f "(" -iname "*" -o
-iname ".*" ")" -exec grep -i -n "grep" {} NUL ";"
FIND: Parameter format not correct

Grep exited abnormally with code 2 at Thu Nov 17 00:49:37
──────────────────────────────

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/xpm/include'

I'm also running Cygwin for the unix util grep.

It appears, that the problem is because emacs is calling cmd.exe's
grep, not cygwin. Perhaps `grep-compute-defaults' should know about
it.

 Xah