Subject: Re: bug#10074: 23.2; emacs rgrep on Windows/Cygwin: FIND: Parameter format not correct

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 13:58:04 +0200

> Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 22:36:55 -0800
> From: Xah Lee <[email-masked]>
> 
> FIND: Parameter format not correct

This is Windows find.exe, which is a completely different program,
getting confused over the way Emacs calls it.

You need to change your Path to have the ported GNU find.exe earlier
on Path than C:\WINDOWS\system32 (or wherever the Windows program
lives), or rename the GNU find.exe to something like gfind.exe and
customize Emacs to call that instead.

I'm closing this bug, because its reason is your system
configuration.  Emacs cannot do anything about that, it just calls the
first find.exe it finds along your Path.

> It appears, that the problem is because emacs is calling cmd.exe's
> grep, not cygwin.

The problem is with `find', not with `grep'.

> Perhaps `grep-compute-defaults' should know about it.

grep-compute-defaults has nothing to do with the problem, so it cannot
fix it.