Subject: bug#10063: 24.0.91; Making font-lock-mode-hook buffer-local while locally let-bound!

From: Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 08:36:53 +0900

Wolfgang Jenkner wrote:
[...]
> 2011-12-26  Wolfgang Jenkner  <[email-masked]>

>         * mm-view.el (mm-display-inline-fontify): Scrap `font-lock-mode-hook'.
[...]
> --- a/lisp/mm-view.el
> +++ b/lisp/mm-view.el
[...]
> -;; Shut up byte-compiler.
> -(defvar font-lock-mode-hook)

Why it is defvar'd here is that it no longer exists in Emacs but
still exists in XEmacs.  XEmacs people use it to run some support
modes `fast-lock', `lazy-lock', etc. as Emacs people use
`font-lock-support-mode'.

>  	;; Disable support modes, e.g., jit-lock, lazy-lock, etc.
> -	(set (make-local-variable 'font-lock-mode-hook) nil)

Gnus should run with not only old Emacsen but also XEmacsen[1],
so please don't scrap it.  (when (featurep 'xemacs) ...?

[1] (info "(gnus)Emacsen")