Subject: bug#10056: 24.0.91; Mark deactivation

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 19:21:25 -0800

> > Let's try first to fix (only) the commands that Dani
> > or others report such have a problem.
> 
> That means adding `(setq deactivate-mark t)' to some functions,
> but this is not user-configurable.

What is not user-configurable?  Why should it be user-configurable whether a
command activates or deactivates the mark?  Where is that user-configurable
today?

And if Emacs Dev decides that standard command foo should deactivate the mark
when done, but some user wants it to activate the mark (but why?), then s?he can
define a command foo' that calls foo and then deactivates the mark.

My impression is that you are inventing a problem where there is none.  But
perhaps I am missing something.  Just what is the problem you are trying to
solve?

> Maybe like delsel.el puts
> the property `delete-selection' on some functions, we should use
> the property `deactivate-mark', e.g.:
> 
> (put 'fill-paragraph 'deactivate-mark t)

YAGNI.  What problem are you looking to solve?

(And BTW, when you grep for `deactivate-mark' you will notice that delsel.el is
one of the libraries with a function that explicitly sets that variable.)