Subject: bug#10056: 24.0.91; Mark deactivation

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 09:04:30 +0100

Hello,

As I pointed out previously in this thread, the mark should be
deactivated (in general - there can be some exceptions) after any
command that operates on the active region.  Not doing so is annoying,
because the mark must be deactivated in that cases manually by typing
`C-g'.

There are still cases where I observe this misbehavior.  Namely:

  kill-region [1]
  kill-rectangle [1]
  prepend-to-register
  append-to-register
  narrow-to-region [2]
  c-indent-line-or-region [3]
  delete-duplicate-lines [3]
  delete-matching-lines [3]
  delete-non-matching-lines [3]
  delete-blank-lines [3]

I hope this is fixed at some time.  Thanks.

--- Footnotes ---

[1] From a read-only buffer, having `kill-read-only-ok' set to nil.
Note that the command does its job in this case, but the mark still
remains active.  Not TRT IMO.
[2] According to Chong, in this case perhaps the mark deactivation
should be made only when the call is interactive.
[3] When the command doesn't alter the buffer text.

-- 
Dani Moncayo