Subject: Re: bug#10056: 24.0.91; `copy-to-register' does not deactivate the mark

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 21:17:45 +0000

Hi, Dani.

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 12:01:51PM +0200, Dani Moncayo wrote:
> >> and I've found a couple more:
> >>   narrow-to-region
> >>   c-indent-line-or-region (when the region is already well indented)

> > I'm not sure about narrow-to-region.  It's probably wrong for it to
> > unconditionally deactivate the mark, because it is commonly called as a
> > Lisp function.  Maybe it should only deactivate the mark when called
> > interactively.

> I will be happy if the deactivation is limited to the interactive
> call.  But at least in this case should be deactivated, because it is
> annoying to have to do the deactivation manually with C-g.

> > As for c-indent-line-or-region, I have no opinion on that at all.

> (I'm CC-ing Alan.  Hopefully he has an opinion) This is the current
> behavior I observe:
> * If the command has to adjust the indentation of some line(s) in the
> region, the mark is deactivated at the end of the command.
> * Else, the mark is not deactivated.

> This behavior is definitely annoying for me: when I mark some fragment
> of code and type TAB, what I want is that Emacs revise the indentation
> of code, and correct it if necessary, but in any case, I don't want
> the mark to remain active.

Have you looked at the code for c-i-l-o-region?  At a quick glance, I
can't see where the distinction is made between indentation adjusted and
not adjusted.  I don't actually use transient-mark-mode myself, so this
hasn't annoyed me one way or the other.

Is the distinction there for a reason, or did it just get there by
accident?  The defun is only several (as opposed to many) years old, so
the evidence should still be available in the bzr repo.

> -- 
> Dani Moncayo

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).