Subject: Re: bug#10056: 24.0.91; `copy-to-register' does not deactivate the mark

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 12:01:51 +0200

>> and I've found a couple more:
>>   narrow-to-region
>>   c-indent-line-or-region (when the region is already well indented)
>
> I'm not sure about narrow-to-region.  It's probably wrong for it to
> unconditionally deactivate the mark, because it is commonly called as a
> Lisp function.  Maybe it should only deactivate the mark when called
> interactively.

I will be happy if the deactivation is limited to the interactive
call.  But at least in this case should be deactivated, because it is
annoying to have to do the deactivation manually with C-g.

> As for c-indent-line-or-region, I have no opinion on that at all.

(I'm CC-ing Alan.  Hopefully he has an opinion) This is the current
behavior I observe:
* If the command has to adjust the indentation of some line(s) in the
region, the mark is deactivated at the end of the command.
* Else, the mark is not deactivated.

This behavior is definitely annoying for me: when I mark some fragment
of code and type TAB, what I want is that Emacs revise the indentation
of code, and correct it if necessary, but in any case, I don't want
the mark to remain active.

-- 
Dani Moncayo