Subject: bug#10056: 24.0.91; `copy-to-register' does not deactivate the mark

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 11:46:41 +0200

> I left prepend-to-register and append-to-register alone for now; there
> may be cases where users want to keep the mark active for those
> commands, but I'm not certain.

I can't imagine such cases right now, but my imagination is limited :)

> As for C-x r k on read-only buffers, the mark is now deactivated, but
> only if kill-read-only-ok is non-nil (similar to C-w).

?? I don't see such behavior in a recent build of the trunk.  I've
just tested C-x r k (from Emacs -Q, in an Info buffer), and the mark
is not deactivated, even if kill-read-only-ok is non-nil.  IMO, the
mark should definitely be deactivated in this case.

And what is more, when kill-read-only-ok is nil, "C-x r k" still does
its job (despite the error message shown in the echo area), i.e., it
saves the rectangle contents.  Therefore, this is confusing from my
POV.  IMO, either the command should do nothing in this case (no
rectangle text gets saved), or, if the intention is to save the
rectangle also in this case, the mark should be deactivated, because
not doing so gives (me) the wrong impression, i.e, that the command
has been cancelled and nothing more happened.

-- 
Dani Moncayo