Subject: bug#10049: 24.0.91; Setting generated-autoload-file as local variable not working correctly

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:30:17 -0500

>>>> I think it is fixed now.
>>> ...and confirmed (again!) ;-)
>> Could you check if the (additional) patch below works as well?
> Yes, it works as well.

Thanks, installed.

> I have related question, though: I also tried to work around this thing
> by setting `enable-local-variables' to nil:

> emacs --batch -l autoload -f toggle-debug-on-error 
>  --eval '(setq generated-autoload-file "/home/whatever/test/foo.el")'
>  --eval '(setq enable-local-variables nil)'
>  -f batch-update-autoloads /home/whatever/test

> However, this does not seem to work; the file-local variable is still
> the one to which the autoloads are written to. Is this to be expected?

Yes: autoload.el let-binds enable-local-variables to :safe.
Maybe it should keep it at nil if the default is nil?  If you think it
would be better, please make a new bug-report for it.

        Stefan