Subject: 24.0.91; isearch.el - binding of user options

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 11:26:45 -0800

1. I do not hold, as Emacs Dev apparently does (at least has in the
past), that code should never bind user options.  Especially user code
and 3rd-party code.  Code is, after all, one way for users to express
their preferences.
 
2. But doing so is supposedly a no-no from your point of view, based on
preaching I've heard from you over the years.
 
3. And yet you do it, so perhaps you would like to consider code where
you do it as bugs.  Assuming that, let me help by pointing out that you
do it in each of the Isearch help commands: isearch-help-for-help,
isearch-describe-bindings, and isearch-describe-key.  The user options
you let-bind are `same-window-names' and `same-window-regexps'.
 
4. Just as you apparently find a "need" to do this here, so
user/3rd-party code can sometimes find it convenient to bind user
options.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-11-07 on MARVIN
 Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
 configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include"
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src"
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include"
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include"
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include"
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include"
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include"
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/include" --ldflags
 -L"D:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/lib"'