Subject: bug#1004: 23.0.60; Error visiting C files

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Sep 2008 15:08:25 +0200

Hi, Eli!

I just noticed this one in a Usenet spool.  I don't seem to be
subscribed to bug-gnu-emacs (I thought I was) at the moment, and
nothing got forwarded to me.

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:13:27 -0400

>> reassign 1004 emacs,cc-mode
>> forcemerge 913 1004
>> stop

>> Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> > Eval error in the `c-lang-defconst' for `c-cpp-matchers' in c-mode:
>> > Eval error in the `c-lang-defconst' for `c-matchers-1' in c-mode:
>> > File mode specification error: (error "`c-opt-cpp-prefix' got no (prior) value in c-mode (might be a cyclic reference)")

>> You need to bootstrap. See "bug" 913, 959.

> I don't want to bootstrap just because a few files need to be
> recompiled.

Recompile in this order:
(i) cc-defs.el (if necesaary); this file contains mostly macros.
(ii) cc-langs.el (..); this contains "language variables", those whose
  values differ between C, C++, ....., AWK.
(iii) cc-engine.el and cc-mode.el (uses macros generated in (i) and
  (ii)).

> I think we should fix the dependencies in lisp/Makefile.in to do that
> automatically.

I tried to do this some while back, but got bogged down in the
complixities of make.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).