Subject: Re: bug#10034: 24.0.91; max-specpdl-size error

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:43:13 -0500

[I didn't receive Stefan's email but saw this on the mailing list.
Perhaps he only sent it there?]

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> window-min-size-1: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size
>
> Please first try to:
>
>  rm lisp/window.elc; make
>
> just to make sure you're not seeing the recent "rebuild" problem.

I'm using the pre-built Emacs Windows build and don't have the
make utilities on this machine.

Presumably, this will suffice:

    emacs -batch -f batch-byte-compile lisp/window.el

Dunno if it's related to a possible "rebuild" problem but I also got:

>> Error during redisplay: (error "Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size")
>> image-search-load-path: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-sizeError during redisplay: (error "Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size")

FYI:

Looking at timestamps on the .el/.elc files, I see:

11/07/2011  09:12 PM           231,600 window.el
11/07/2011  09:12 PM           197,385 window.elc

which I believe is the time that Christoph is compiling the .elc files
and then copying both .el and .elc to a ZIP archive.

Dunno for sure but I believe he is compiling .el files beforehand.

In any event, your suggestion to recompile the .elc file is prudent
and helps to rule out the "rebuild" problem.

Thanks.