Subject: bug#10034: 24.0.91; max-specpdl-size error

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 23:46:37 -0500

I was playing around with built-in GnuTLS and the funtions
`open-gnutls-stream' and `gnutls-negotiate' to try to get
trustfiles to work on Windows. (GnuTLS doesn't support a "-CApath"
option where you can specify a directory where PEM files lives,
unfortunately, unlike OpenSSL).

I would create a GnuTLS process via:

(with-temp-buffer
(open-gnutls-stream "tls" "tls-buffer" "imap.aim.com" 993))

and

(gnutls-negotiate :process (open-network-stream "tls" "tls-buffer"
                     "imap.aim.com" 993)
                    :type 'gnutls-x509pki
                    :trustfiles trustfiles
                    :hostname host)

When I didn't see a successful verification message, i.e. warnings:

gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) certificate signer was not found: imap.aim.com

I would kill the "tls-buffer" (hence killing the GnuTLS process) and
the buffer would be killed and I would see the expected message:

gnutls.c: [2] (Emacs) Deallocating x509 credentials

I would then make modifications to the definition of `trustfiles' or
PEM files, etc. and try again.

I would do this iteration many times.

Eventually, I would get into a state where I couldn't do much, seeing
messages like:

window-min-size-1: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

I then could only kill Emacs.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-11-07 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include" -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src" -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include" -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include" -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include" -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include" -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include" -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/include" --ldflags -L"D:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/lib"'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp949
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> n <return> C-x b * M e <tab> <return> C-r 
g n u t C-a C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r 
C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r 
C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r 
C-r C-r C-r C-v C-s C-s <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> C-x b * s c <tab> C-g <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
gnutls.c: [2] ASSERT: ../../../src/gnutls-2.10.5/lib/gnutls_record.c:918

gnutls.c: [2] (Emacs) Deallocating x509 credentials
gnutls.c: [2] ASSERT: ../../../src/gnutls-2.10.5/lib/gnutls_buffers.c:601

gnutls.c: [2] ASSERT: ../../../src/gnutls-2.10.5/lib/gnutls_record.c:918

gnutls.c: [2] (Emacs) Deallocating x509 credentials
Mark saved where search started
xding
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message derived format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug
network-stream auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
macroexp assoc gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache starttls tls
gnutls advice advice-preload pager w3m-search w3m help-fns browse-url
doc-view easymenu jka-compr dired desktop regexp-opt image-mode timezone
w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image
w3m-proc w3m-util wid-edit w3m-wget server easy-mmode cl edmacro kmacro
paren time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)