Subject: bug#10032: 24.0.91; "C-x C-<SPC>" seems broken

From: Johan Bockgård <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 03:23:32 +0100

Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]> writes:

> From "emacs -Q":
> 1. Move point to the second line and set the mark there (C-<SPC> C-<SPC>).
> 2. Move point to the third line and set the mark there.
> 3. Move point to the fourth line.
> 4. Type "C-x C-<SPC>".
>
> Expected result: Point jumps to the more recent mark, i.e., to the third line.
> Observed result: Point jumps to the second line.  Moreover, subsequent
> "C-x C-<SPC>" don't cycle through the marks.

This is intentional. According to the doc string of set-mark-command:

    Also push the old mark on global mark ring, if the previous mark was
    set in another buffer.

On the other hand, the manual disagrees:

    Each time you set a mark, in any buffer, this is recorded in the
    global mark ring in addition to the current buffer's own mark ring.

    -- (info "(emacs) Global Mark Ring")