Subject: 24.0.91; Gnus gnus-get-function error

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 23:25:09 -0500

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

I was experimenting with my Gnus startup and moved it out of the way.

When I then started up Gnus forgetting to put it back.

I get the error:

gnus-get-function: Trying to require a method that doesn't exist.

Gnus stays in Fundamental mode.

Among the messages in the *Message* buffer are:

Checking new news...
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...
Opening nnfolder server on archive...done
nnfolder: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Reading active file from archive+nnfolder+archive:posts via nnfolder...
Opening nnfolder server on archive+nnfolder+archive:posts...done
Reading active file from archive+nnfolder+archive:posts via nnfolder...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
xding
gnus-get-function: Trying to require a method that doesn't exist

This is my fault, so if you choose not to have Gnus continue to
Group mode and/or do something else, you can just close my bug
report.

Thanks.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
k:/emacs-24.0.91/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-11-07 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include" -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src" -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include" -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include" -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include" -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include" -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include" -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/include" --ldflags -L"D:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/lib"'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp949
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug
-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message derived format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug advice advice-preload pager w3m-search w3m
help-fns browse-url doc-view easymenu jka-compr dired desktop regexp-opt
image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util wid-edit w3m-wget server
easy-mmode cl edmacro kmacro paren time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer button faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
multi-tty emacs)