Subject: Re: bug#30993: OpenSSH sshd killed by Shepherd 0.4.0
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 14:21:06 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 03:33:59PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> There are reasons to believe that this issue is fixed by the Shepherd 0.6.1:
> 
>   https://issues.guix.info/issue/35550
> 
> Could you check somehow if the bug shows up again?

The bug disappeared for me a couple of reboots after reinstalling the
Guix System on my affected machine. That reinstallation provided
Shepherd 0.5, although 0.5 was also tested unsuccessfully before
reinstalling.

The issue does not manifest for me with Shepherd 0.6, 0.6.1 or Guix 1.0.

So... I think the bug was probably some kind of race condition or TOCTOU
problem that went away with a less fragmented or full filesystem (I was
really pushing the limits in that regard).

It's great that Shepherd 0.6.1 improved the PID file handling, assuming
that was the culprit.

I am closing this bug, but we can reopen it later if necessary.