Subject: Re: bug#73169: wifi driver problem
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Fadi Al-Arja <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2024 23:10:31 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Fadi,

Fadi Al-Arja <[email-masked]> writes:

> Dear Guix developers,
>
> I hope you are doing well.
>
> I am trying to install Guix on my Intel-based laptop, but I am running into
> problems, especially with proprietary network driver support. Despite
> several attempts, Guix is not correctly detecting my wireless card, which
> results in me being unable to establish a network connection. The error
> messages and problems can be seen in the attached photo.
>
> Knowing that Guix emphasizes free software, I am wondering if there is a
> way to still integrate these network drivers into the system or if I may
> need to develop my own driver to resolve the issue. Are there any
> alternative approaches or specific documentation that could help me with
> this issue?

Developing free firmware would be a way, but it's probably not too easy.

> I appreciate any kind of support and thank you in advance for your time and
> help.

If you need your wifi working in a short time, the best option may be to
buy an USB wifi adapter compatible with free software such as those sold
by ThinkPenguin, or other RYF (Respect Your Freedom) certified devices.

Falling that, if you make this choice, you could also use Guix System
using another kernel than linux-libre; this falls outside of the support
scope of GNU Guix and you'll have too seek support somewhere else if
this is what you would like to pursue.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim