Subject: Re: bug#58163: coreutils instalation failure x86_64
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], Gnulib bugs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 15:26:14 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thanks for sending the extra data. Oh, I see you are running GCC 5.4. 
You have run into a GCC bug that I just now filed here:

https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=107116

This bug was in GCC 5 and is still present in GCC 12.

To work around the GCC bug, please use './configure 
--disable-gcc-warnings' instead of plain './configure'. Or (and this may 
be simpler) please use the latest coreutils release from 
<https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/coreutils/> rather than trying to bootstrap. 
Another possibility is to upgrade to GCC 7 (2017) or later, as these GCC 
versions have __builtin_sub_overflow which means the code in question 
will not be compiled.

I doubt whether we should modify Gnulib or coreutils to work around the 
GCC bug, as we expect developers who are bootstrapping to use up-to-date 
tools and GCC 6 is not up-to-date. I'm therefore closing the coreutils 
bug report.