Subject: Re: bug#57216: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Provide ERT explainers for Eshell test functions
From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 20:52:09 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 8/15/2022 12:01 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> It can be difficult to diagnose test failures in the Eshell ERT test
>> suite, since it doesn't print useful details like the command that was
>> executed. See bug#57129 for example.
> 
> I'm generally not in favour of making ert tests less trivial (because
> that makes dealing with them less easy if you're not familiar with the
> specific harness), but in this case, it makes sense, I think.

Agreed. I've tried to keep the tests as simple as I can, though even for 
the simplest of the Eshell tests, I think it's useful to show this info. 
  99% of the tests are "run some Eshell command and make sure it does 
the right thing", and if it fails, the new failure output is probably 
enough to debug it without even looking at the test code.

(Closing this, since I merged the patch.)