Subject: Re: [bug#41047] [PATCH] gnu: Add lesspipe
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Rohleder <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 22:45:57 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Michael Rohleder <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I'm not very creative on creating descriptions. Please feel free to
> change it. ;)

Heheh.

> From 9ee7d976ffa6cd6d8375fac2df0f50940f9d4877 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Michael Rohleder <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 12:31:43 +0200
> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: Add lesspipe
>
> * gnu/packages/less.scm (lesspipe): New variable.

Applied with the following changes.  Note that the license is GPLv2+
because there’s nothing stating “version 2 only”.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

diff --git a/gnu/packages/less.scm b/gnu/packages/less.scm
index 92e20a3705..76a4d42dfd 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/less.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/less.scm
@@ -84,17 +84,11 @@ text editors.")
     (native-inputs `(("perl" ,perl)))
     (home-page "https://github.com/wofr06/lesspipe")
     (synopsis "Input filter for less")
-    (description "To browse files under UNIX the excellent viewer less
-can be used.  By setting the environment variable LESSOPEN, less can be
-enhanced by external filters to become even more powerful.  Most Linux
-distributions come already with a \"lesspipe.sh\" that covers the most
-common situations.
-The input filter for less described here is called
-\"lesspipe.sh\".  It is able to process a wide variety of file
-formats.  It enables users to deeply inspect archives and to display
-the contents of files in archives without having to unpack them
-before.  That means file contents can be properly interpreted even if
-the files are compressed and contained in a hierarchy of
-archives (often found in RPM or DEB archives containing source
-tarballs).  The filter is easily extensible for new formats.")
-    (license gpl2)))
+    (description "To browse files, the excellent viewer @code{less} can be
+used.  By setting the environment variable @code{LESSOPEN}, less can be
+enhanced by external filters to become more powerful.  The input filter for
+less described here is called @code{lesspipe.sh}.  It is able to process a
+wide variety of file formats.  It enables users to inspect archives and
+display their contents without having to unpack them before.  The filter is
+easily extensible for new formats.")
+    (license gpl2+)))