Subject: libtool-2.5.1 released [beta]
From: Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2024 18:24:41 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Libtoolers!

The Libtool Team is pleased to announce the release of libtool 2.5.1, a 
beta release.

GNU Libtool hides the complexity of using shared libraries behind a
consistent, portable interface. GNU Libtool ships with GNU libltdl, which
hides the complexity of loading dynamic runtime libraries (modules)
behind a consistent, portable interface.

There have been 33 commits by 8 people in the 10 weeks since 2.5.0.

See the NEWS below for a brief summary.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!
The following people contributed changes to this release:

   Bruno Haible (3)
   Ileana Dumitrescu (24)
   Julien ÉLIE (1)
   Khem Raj (1)
   Peter Kokot (1)
   Richard Purdie (1)
   Vincent Lefevre (1)
   trcrsired (1)

Ileana
  [on behalf of the libtool maintainers]
==================================================================

Here is the GNU libtool home page:
     https://gnu.org/s/libtool/

For a summary of changes and contributors, see:
   https://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=libtool.git;a=shortlog;h=v2.5.1
or run this command from a git-cloned libtool directory:
   git shortlog v2.5.0..v2.5.1

Here are the compressed sources:
   https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.5.1.tar.gz   (1.9MB)
   https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.5.1.tar.xz   (1020KB)

Here are the GPG detached signatures:
   https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.5.1.tar.gz.sig
   https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.5.1.tar.xz.sig

Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
   https://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

Here are the SHA1 and SHA256 checksums:

   5e2f00be5b616b0a6120b2947e562b8448e139b2  libtool-2.5.1.tar.gz
   aoPtr9QtTi69wJV5+ZzoKNX5MvFzjeAklcyMKITkMM4=  libtool-2.5.1.tar.gz
   9f72b896f593c4f81cdd6c20c9d99463663e48a9  libtool-2.5.1.tar.xz
   0oDmTIzb8UXXb7kbOyGe2rAb20PLmUAuSsuX0BAGNv0=  libtool-2.5.1.tar.xz

Verify the base64 SHA256 checksum with cksum -a sha256 --check
from coreutils-9.2 or OpenBSD's cksum since 2007.

Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

   gpg --verify libtool-2.5.1.tar.gz.sig

The signature should match the fingerprint of the following key:

   pub   rsa4096 2021-09-23 [SC]
         FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22  B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354
   uid   Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
   uid   Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
or that public key has expired, try the following commands to retrieve
or refresh it, and then rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

   gpg --locate-external-key [email-masked]

   gpg --recv-keys 6570EA01146F7354

   wget -q -O- 
'https://savannah.gnu.org/project/release-gpgkeys.php?group=libtool&download=1' 
| gpg --import -

As a last resort to find the key, you can try the official GNU
keyring:

   wget -q https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-keyring.gpg
   gpg --keyring gnu-keyring.gpg --verify libtool-2.5.1.tar.gz.sig

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
   Autoconf 2.72e
   Automake 1.17
   Gnulib v1.0-563-gd3efdd55f3

NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 2.5.1 (2024-07-25) [beta]

** New features:

   - Support C++17 compilers in the C++ tests.

   - Add sysroot to library path for cross builds.

** Important incompatible changes:

   - Autoconf 2.64 is required for libtool.m4 to use AS_VAR_APPEND.

** Bug fixes:

   - Fix for uninitialized variable in libtoolize.

   - Skip Fortran/C demo tests when using Clang with fsanitize to
     avoid an incompatible ASan runtime.

   - Updated documentation for testing.

   - Fix failing test to account for program-prefix usage.

   - Replaced a deprecated macro to remove warning messages in the
     testsuite logs.

   - Fix number of arguments for AC_CHECK_PROG call.

   - Fix test failures with no-canonical-prefixes flag by checking
     if the flag is supported first.

   - Fix test failures with no-undefined flag by checking host OS
     before appending the flag.

   - Skip test when passing CXX flags through libtool to avoid test
     failure on NetBSD.

   - Remove texinfo warning for period in node name of pxref.

   - Alter syntax in sed command to fix numerous test failures
     on 64-bit windows/cygwin/mingw.

   - Fix 'Wstrict-prototypes' warnings.

   - Correct DLL Installation Path for mingw multilib builds.

   - Fix '--preserve-dup-deps' stripping duplicates.

   - Disable chained fixups for macOS, since it is not compatible with
     '-undefined dynamic_lookup'.

** Changes in supported systems or compilers:

   - Support additional flang-based compilers, 'flang-new' and 'ftn'.

Enjoy!

-- 
Ileana Dumitrescu

GPG Public Key: FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22 B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354