Subject: Re: bug#71200: TRAMP: Trying to do a project-find-file or (find-directory) using the podman method causes a (wrong-type-argument stringp nil) error
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: alexis purslane <[email-masked]>
Cc: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 19:01:22 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 30.1

alexis purslane <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Alexis,

[you've removed the Cc again :-( ]

> I really apologize for not checking this earlier, but it didn't occur
> to me to test this, it came up naturally: if you try to enter a
> distrobox that doesn't exist, Emacs will hang and peg one CPU until
> you hit C-g. But yes I think this bug can be closed for sure

Well, I don't believe it is up to Tramp to check it. For all
container-based methods it is requested that the respective container
is running. In case of toolbox and distrobox, it is sufficient that the
container is created. If not running, it is started then.

Like the other Tramp methods, distrobox offers host name
completion. Typing "C-x C-f /distrobox: TAB" will show you existing
containers.

And yes, closing the bug. Feel free to report further problems. But
likely they won't fit to the scope of this bug report; a new bug report
would be better I believe.

Best regards, Michael.