Subject: Re: bug#48116: Problems when cross-compiling native-comp
From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
To: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Anatole Dahan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 17:38:45 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Anatole Dahan <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have encountered errors while configuring emacs, and I was told to send a bug report here. You will find my config.log attached, together with my environment variables.
>>
>> For context, I am trying to cross-compile native-compilation. I guess
>> this might not be supported, as libgccjit makes it quite complicated
>> (I didn’t yet find a way to bypass the smoke test). I have built the
>> NATIVE libgccjit for i586-linux-musl (maybe I am wrong about that ?)
>>
>> Anyway, both sys/inotify.h and libgccjit.h are present, but they are
>> marked as missing because they can’t be used (which seems legit, at
>> least for libgccjit, since it is built for native
>> i586-linux-musl). From what I understood, this is considered a bug.
>>
>> Best,
>> —Anatole Dahan
>
> Hi Anatole,
>
> generally speaking we do not support cross compilation using the native
> build as libgccjit AFAIK is just not made for cross compiling.  I
> suspect in your specific case this should be possible with some hacking
> but coming to the problem of bypassing the smoke test I think the
> easiest is to start with is commenting it out from configure.ac.

Closing this old bug as, as mentioned, we (and libgccjit as well) don't
support cross native compiled builds.

Best Regards

  Andrea