Subject: Re: bug#42482: 27.0.91; emacs modules memory leak
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: Milan Stanojević <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 14:06:57 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Am Do., 23. Juli 2020 um 01:27 Uhr schrieb Milan Stanojević
<[email-masked]>:
>
> env-make_global_ref adds a reference to the underlying Lisp_Object
> and allocates emacs_value from the global storage. env->free_global_ref
> on the other hand will only remove a reference to the underlying
> Lisp_Object and not free the emacs_value.
>
> Here is a simple recipe to reproduce the problem (I only tested this
> on linux). I'm attaching the necessary files.
>
> $ gcc -shared -fpic -std=c99 -I <dir-with-emacs-module.h>
> create_global_refs.c -o create_global_refs.so
> $ emacs --no-splash -q -l create_global_refs.so -l create_global_refs_test.el
>
> If you look at the memory usage of emacs (for example in htop) you'll
> see that with emacs-26 it is constant but with emacs-27 the resident
> memory quickly grows.

Thanks for the report. I've fixed this in commit
5c5eb9790898e4ab10bcbbdb6871947ed3018569; the fix is slightly
different from what you proposed in that it stores the emacs_value
object in the global references hashtable, but it should have the same
effect. At least I can't reproduce the symptom any more after that
commit.