Subject: Re: [bug#41036] [PATCH 0/2] New patches to update Ruby to 2.7
From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
To: Ryan Prior <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 21:28:51 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ryan Prior via Guix-patches via <[email-masked]> writes:

> Here are the new patches you asked for, they should apply cleanly to master.
>
> Ryan Prior (2):
>   gnu: Renames ruby to ruby-2.6.
>   gnu: Ruby: Update to 2.7.
>
>  gnu/packages/ruby.scm | 10 ++++++----
>  1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

Great, thanks.

I've tweaked the commit messages a bit, and now pushed these patches to
core-updates.

I think the way ruby-2.7 inherits from ruby-2.6 is a bit odd, but I like
that this change is small in terms of the diff. Anyway, how to lay out
the package definitions is a lesser issue compared to what's actually
defined.

Now comes the challenge of actually fixing all the packages this change
will have broken. If updates to packages that fix issues with Ruby 2.7
don't cause too many rebuilds or break anything on master, then pushing
those to master is good. The master branch can then be merged in to
core-updates to get those changes applied there as well. Otherwise, the
fixes should be applied to core-updates.

Thanks,

Chris