Subject: Re: [bug#30329] [PATCH] gnu: emacs: Build with xwidgets support.
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>, Alex Vong <[email-masked]>, Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 14:05:36 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> writes:

> Alex Vong <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> This patch adds xwidgets support to Emcas. So Emacs can now display GTK
>> widgets. In particular, it can display webpages using webkitgtk.
>>
>> Also, I use webkitgtk-2.4 instead of webkitgtk, because xwidgets
>> requires libwebkitgtk-3.0 instead of libwebkitgtk-4.0 to
>> build.
>
> This patch will no longer work, since [email-masked] has been removed.
> How shall we proceed?  Is something like it still needed, or can we
> close this report?

Some time ago I updated the Emacs xwidget feature to use the latest
webkit, so we shouldn’t be using the old one here.

I would suggest not to add this package, because the xwidgets feature
currently isn’t all that useful.  There is very little communication
between Emacs and the widget.  Work was underway (and has since stalled)
to use gobject introspection to expose the webkit API to Elisp.

I’d suggest to wait until this feature is more useful.

Alex, I’m closing this bug now, but you’re welcome to submit another
patch that adds a separate emacs-with-xwidgets package and I won’t
reject it despite my opinion of current state of the feature.

Thanks!

--
Ricardo