Subject: 24.5; Running node.js processes inside emacs fails with 'abort trap: 6'
From: Martin Josefsson <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 12:20:56 +0000 (UTC)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

\---- My message ----  
Here are my steps to reproduce, formatted as Markdown:  
```  
$ node --version  
v7.0.0-head  
```  
Inside of `$ emacs -Q` (but also emacs with my ~/.emacs.d):  
```  
;; can be eshell, or M-! or whatever to spawn a process  
M-x eshell  
$ node -e 'console.log("hello")` # or any other way to start node binary  
abort trap: 6  
```  
  
This behaviour is not the case when starting the node binary from any  
other shell or process - but every time I start it as a child of Emacs.  
It happens when starting node from within bash under `M-x term`, but not  
from iTerm2 or Terminal.app.  
  
OS version: Mac os X 10.11.4 (15E65).  
\---- End of my message ----  
  
In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS apple-appkit-1348.17)  
of 2015-09-23 on Martins-MacBook-Pro.local  
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1404  
Configured using:  
`configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5  
\--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp  
\--infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/info/emacs --with-xml2  
\--without-dbus --without-gnutls --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained'  
  
Important settings:  
 locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix  
  
Major mode: EShell  
  
Minor modes in effect:  
 delete-selection-mode: t  
 global-linum-mode: t  
 linum-mode: t  
 global-company-mode: t  
 engine-mode: t  
 diff-auto-refine-mode: t  
 magit-auto-revert-mode: t  
 global-git-commit-mode: t  
 async-bytecomp-package-mode: t  
 shell-dirtrack-mode: t  
 show-smartparens-global-mode: t  
 projectile-global-mode: t  
 projectile-mode: t  
 override-global-mode: t  
 tooltip-mode: t  
 electric-indent-mode: t  
 mouse-wheel-mode: t  
 menu-bar-mode: t  
 file-name-shadow-mode: t  
 global-font-lock-mode: t  
 font-lock-mode: t  
 blink-cursor-mode: t  
 auto-composition-mode: t  
 auto-encryption-mode: t  
 auto-compression-mode: t  
 line-number-mode: t  
 transient-mark-mode: t  
  
Recent messages:  
Mark set [2 times]  
File does not exist, create buffer? (y or n) y  
(New file)  
Mark set  
Saving file /Users/martin/Repos/list-eval/.gitignore...  
Wrote /Users/martin/Repos/list-eval/.gitignore  
History item: 24  
Auto-saving...done  
Saving file /Users/martin/Repos/list-eval/README.md...  
Wrote /Users/martin/Repos/list-eval/README.md  
  
Load-path shadows:  
/Users/martin/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20160428.1202/helm-multi-match hides
/Users/martin/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-core-20160504.2359/helm-multi-match  
  
Features:  
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail misearch multi-isearch vc-git  
markdown-mode cider-macroexpansion helm-ring eieio-opt speedbar sb-image  
ezimage dframe animate misc tramp-cache image-file pcmpl-unix em-unix  
em-term term disp-table ehelp em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred  
em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias esh-var esh-io  
esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module  
esh-mode esh-util pkg-info url-http url-auth url-gw lisp-mnt epl  
network-stream starttls tls ido cider cider-debug cider-browse-ns  
cider-inspector cider-mode cider-interaction arc-mode archive-mode  
cider-repl cider-resolve cider-test cider-overlays cider-stacktrace  
cider-doc org-table org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list  
org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob  
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint  
ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu  
calendar cal-loaddefs cider-grimoire cider-popup cider-eldoc  
cider-client cider-common cider-util clojure-mode align nrepl-client  
queue nrepl-dict cider-compat seq seq-24 ewoc spinner winner  
helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug helm-mode eldoc company-oddmuse  
company-keywords company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code  
company-dabbrev company-files company-capf company-cmake company-xcode  
company-clang company-semantic company-eclim company-template  
company-css company-nxml company-bbdb company-emoji delsel linum  
darkokai-theme company pcase cus-edit wid-edit cus-start cus-load  
js2-mode js2-old-indent etags js json cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus  
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs imenu  
helm-projectile helm-files rx image-dired dired-x dired-aux ffap  
helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info bookmark pp  
helm-external helm-net browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy  
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util  
url-parse url-vars mailcap helm-buffers helm-grep helm-regexp  
helm-plugin helm-elscreen helm-utils helm-locate helm-help helm-types  
helm-config helm-easymenu helm helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib  
engine-mode saveplace finder-inf aggressive-indent magit-blame  
magit-stash magit-bisect magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit  
magit-apply dired magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode diff-mode  
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-process  
magit-popup magit-mode help-mode magit-git crm magit-section magit-utils  
git-commit log-edit message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies  
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev  
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log with-editor cl-macs gv  
async-bytecomp async tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio  
eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs  
trampver shell pcomplete format-spec server smartparens-config  
smartparens byte-opt edmacro kmacro projectile advice help-fns grep  
compile comint ansi-color ring ibuf-ext ibuffer dash thingatpt  
use-package diminish bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv bind-key  
easy-mmode cl-loaddefs cl-lib exec-path-from-shell info easymenu package  
epg-config time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks  
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt  
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page  
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock  
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang  
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek  
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese  
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice  
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay  
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget  
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process cocoa ns  
multi-tty emacs)  
  
Memory information:  
((conses 16 497058 57777)  
(symbols 48 57150 0)  
(miscs 40 777 954)  
(strings 32 140042 13067)  
(string-bytes 1 4088239)  
(vectors 16 54848)  
(vector-slots 8 888972 44892)  
(floats 8 309 1015)  
(intervals 56 4456 3884)  
(buffers 960 26))