Subject: 30.0.92; prog-fill-reindent-defun ignores fill-column inside string in emacs-lisp-mode.
From: Jake <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2025 07:47:42 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello

`prog-fill-reindent-defun' does not respect the value of fill-column when
inside a string (e.g. a docstring) in emacs-lisp-mode and
lisp-interaction-mode.  I checked it is respected in python-mode, c-mode,
and c++-mode.

From emacs -Q:
Yank into the *scratch* buffer:

(defun a ()
  "a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a
a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a"
  nil)

C-x f 30 RET
Put the point inside the docstring and M-q
Observe that it is filled to something like column 70 to 75.

Thanks
Jake