Subject: Reduce unused native-inputs for grub-efi and grub-minimal
From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2025 01:25:04 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The attached patch removes the native-inputs on qemu-minimal for both
grub-efi and grub-minimal, neither of which actually use qemu-minimal it
because tests are disabled.

It is possible the removal of "qemu" was sufficient when using labels
but the switch away from labels may have left grub-efi and grub-minimal
with a fairly large dependency chain due to qemu-minimal, despite not
really using it.

I did not test all reverse dependents yet, but both grub-efi and
grub-minimal still build.

Dropping qemu-minimal from native-inputs really helps on architectures
with poor substitute availability, such as aarch64!

Since Efraim and Ludo were both authors of the relevent commits fixing
and/or (re)introducing this issue, I reach out for your wisdom, or at
least your thoughts!

Efraim also happens to be on the embedded team, which technically covers
gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm, although grub being an embedded thing
seems a bit of a stretch, given it is a commonly used bootloader on a
largely dominant mostly not embedded platform. I guess it is kind of an
embedded project unto itself? sort of? hrmpf.

live well,
  vagrant
From c71df9ccf0ab9713a1fd9fd7070ed151c7588120 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2025 00:56:40 -0800
Subject: [PATCH] gnu: grub-minimal, grub-efi: Reduce unused native-inputs.

"qemu" was removed in e9c1ea84fcf4a7f3da9aea9fbfe6136c75643c07 in the code
though the commit message claims to have removed "qemu-minimal". If that
worked, it may have been broken by switching away from labels in
b9c38f26f120e3e12b3bfbf29c6248a08fe1a62c.

* gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm (grub-minimal)[native-inputs]: Remove
qemu-minimal.
(grub-efi)[native-inputs]: Remove qemu-minimal.
---
 gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm b/gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm
index b5cfacca4b..4dab7bd0b7 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm
@@ -323,7 +323,7 @@ (define-public grub-minimal
        (delete "lvm2" "mdadm" "fuse" "console-setup")))
     (native-inputs
      (modify-inputs (package-native-inputs grub)
-       (delete "help2man" "texinfo" "parted" "qemu" "xorriso")))
+       (delete "help2man" "texinfo" "parted" "qemu" "qemu-minimal" "xorriso")))
     (arguments
      (substitute-keyword-arguments (package-arguments grub)
        ((#:tests? _ #t) #f)
@@ -413,7 +413,7 @@ (define-public grub-efi
     (native-inputs
      ;; The tests are skipped in this package so we remove some test dependencies.
      (modify-inputs (package-native-inputs grub)
-       (delete "parted" "qemu" "xorriso")))
+       (delete "parted" "qemu" "qemu-minimal" "xorriso")))
     (arguments
      ;; TODO: Tests need a UEFI firmware for qemu. There is one at
      ;; https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/tree/master/OvmfPkg .

base-commit: cc678d0e4d67073943e75053c5e450c4df700b42
-- 
2.39.5