Subject: About /etc/subuid and /etc/subgid commits
From: Nicolas Graves <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], Giacomo Leidi <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2024 10:36:42 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Giacomo,

I noticed the last 11 commits are breaking my peculiar tmpfs root
configuration.  More precisely, I have more or less this layout :
tmpfs: /, $HOME
vfat32: /boot/efi
btrfs: /var/guix, /gnu/store, /var/lib, /boot ... + several directories
under $HOME

That means that at startup, I won't have anything in /etc nor $HOME
basically. To deploy guix home properly, I run a pam_exec on login which
symlinks /var/guix/profiles/per-user/${USER}/guix-home && current-guix
to their expected places, then runs the home activation script, and then
logins.

It is a bit circumvoluted, but it worked properly on my side on
guix@478b9ccea8. Do you see a reason why your patches could break my
user login?

I can at least confirm that the $PATH for my $USER is not set properly
after login after these patches, before it was.

-- 
Best regards,
Nicolas Graves