Subject: Patches applied
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2024 22:41:56 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I have applied Carlos's second patch of
   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/72943
which gives an explanation why we skip the tests,
and Noé's patch of
   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/72968
adding the missing inputs.

As php currently does not build after the core-updates merge and this issue
has been turning up regularly over the past few days, I have taken the
liberty to push the commits directly without going through QA; I have
tested that the package builds and works with one of my local php projects.

I am closing the second issue, which is thus handled.
And I am leaving the first issue open; while the immediate php problem is
(hopefully) solved, it remains to be discussed whether we should propagate
the gd inputs in the longer term.

My understanding is that given the pkg-config file, we normally would
propagate the inputs. On the other hand, propagated inputs tend to create
problems (for instance, when two different packages propagate two different
versions of the same input library); and I do not quite understand why
with over 5000 packages depending on gd, most of them do not seem to be
affected. Maybe these do not use pkg-config to check for gd?
So it may be a better option to only patch the affected packages (if any
are left) and leave gd as it is.

Andreas