Subject: Re: bug#71969: [PATCH] Support interactive D-Bus authentication
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Steven Allen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2024 14:10:20 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 31.1

Steven Allen <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Steven,

> I meant that `dbus-method-call` worked without `:authorize t` for me as
> well until I updated my system. Testing both systemd and fwupd, it
> appears that the issue was caused by upgrading to systemd 256 (available
> on Arch Linux but not Fedora 40). That is, systemd 256 requires
> `:authorize t` while fwupd does not.
>
> From what I can tell, this change was introduced in this [1] systemd PR.
> Specifically, this comment:
>
>     This also fixes a bunch of wrong uses of the "interactive" bool. The
>     bool makes no sense today as the ALLOW_INTERACTIVE_AUTHORIZATION
>     field in the D-Bus message header replaces it fully.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/30565

Thanks for the explanation. I've installed systemd 256 from Fedora
rawhide on my system, and now I see the same behavior.

I've installed your patch to the Emacs master branch. Closing the bug.

Do we need to mention somewhere in the doc, that this is needed starting
with systemd 256?

Best regards, Michael.