Subject: Re: bug#69597: 29.2; ERC 5.6-git: Add a new customizable variable controlling how Erc displays spoilers
From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Fadi Moukayed <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 19:17:43 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Fadi Moukayed <[email-masked]> writes:

> I gave the patches another look and did another clean re-apply for an
> additional test. All OK (results seen in the attached screenshot).
> Implementing ^V using :inverse-video should be okay, although I'm not
> sure about the implications on platforms that do not support that (do
> any exist? documentation here is sparse, unfortunately). I assume it
> will fall back to the hard-coded white-on-black color specification in
> that case, which is probably an acceptable compromise.

This has been installed as

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=166c8a98

Thanks and closing.

                              * * *

A tangentially related note regarding this area of the code base: As
mentioned at least once in code comments, we should probably eventually
begin phasing out the existing face names in favor of ones that abide by
Emacs naming conventions:

- Like all identifiers, they should be properly namespaced, so no
  leading "fg:" and "bg:"

- They should _not_ end in "-face" (info "(elisp) Defining Faces")

I don't really have the bandwidth for dealing with this anytime soon,
even though it's a relatively straightforward, mostly mechanical change.
Just thought I'd note it here for the record in case someone reading
this takes a fancy.