Subject: Re: bug#66554: [PATCH] Add the public API of Compat to the core
From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 21:52:04 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
>>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>>>   [email-masked]
>>> Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:29:00 +0000
>>> 
>>> >> Note that Compat provides replacement functions with extended
>>> >> functionality for functions that are already defined (@code{sort},
>>> >> @code{assoc}, @dots{}).  These functions may have changed their
>>> >> calling convention (additional optional arguments) or may have changed
>>> >> their behavior.  These functions must be looked up explicitly with
>>> >> @code{compat-function} or called explicitly with @code{compat-call}.
>>> >> We call them ``Extended Definitions''.  In contrast, newly ``Added
>>> >> Definitions'' can be called as usual.
>>> >
>>> > Thanks.  I suggest to copy the above paragraph to the ELisp reference
>>> > manual, 
>>> 
>>> OK, can do.
>>> 
>>> >         and add a cross-reference to the Compat manual after it.
>>> 
>>> IIUC the cross-reference will be broken, unless the user has installed
>>> Compat manually.
>>
>> I wouldn't be worried about that: the cross-reference is readable, and
>> the reader will understand what it says even if it cannot be followed.
>> We do that for other manuals, which belong to other packages that
>> might not be installed.
>
> OK.  I don't have access to the machine with the latest version of the
> patch, but as soon as I get that going again, I'll update it and push
> the change to master.

I have pushed the patch to master, and will therefore close this bug
report.  Thanks to everyone involved for helping out.