Subject: Re: bug#59123: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Update etc/AUTHORS entry
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 07:26:30 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Manuel Uberti via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> first of all thank you having included me in etc/AUTHORS. If possible,
> I'd like to expand a little the entry linked to my name. I attached a
> small patch with the relevant changes.

This file is automatically generated from the ChangeLog (which, in turn,
is generated from the commit messages), and will be updated in
preparation of the release of Emacs 29.  Since the result of applying
your patch would just be overwritten later, I don't think it makes sense
to install it.

You could test the steps in admin/make-tarball.txt and let me know if
you notice anything untowards with any entry, including your own.  More
specifically, see this headline:

    2.  Regenerate the versioned ChangeLog.N and etc/AUTHORS files.

The good news is that, barring any bugs, your entry should be updated
exactly as you propose.

I'm therefore closing this bug report for now.  Thanks for
understanding.