Subject: Re: bug#55247: [29.0.50; TRAMP] Tramp Always Thinks Buffer Changed On Disk After Edit -> Save
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, Jacob Faibussowitsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 13:22:50 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 29.1

Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Manuel,

> Sorry my bad. It works after a "make bootstrap". Thanks Michael!

Thanks for confirmation, I'm closing the bug.

> But how come emacs does not install the new .elc for a freshly patch .el
> with a classical "make && make install"?

I've patched tramp-skeleton-write-region, a macro in tramp.el. This file
has been recompiled.

However, in your use case the function tramp-sh-handle-write-region of
file tramp-sh.el is called, which uses that macro. Since tramp-sh.el
hasn't been recompiled, the old (erroneous) macro definition was still
used.

Best regards, Michael.