Subject: Ungoogled-chromium lacks VP8 codec support preventing jitsi screensharing
From: Jacob Hrbek <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 10:27:23 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

See forwarded message

Steps to reproduce:
0. Get ungoogled-chromium
1. Open a call on jitsi e.g. https://jit.si/ILoveKreyren2Much
2. Start a screenshare
3. Join the call from a different browser and expect the screenshare to
malfunction either with tab crashing with "Aw, snap" or the screen share
changing on black screen and chromium printing this to the console:

[18990:23:0116/111829.036853:ERROR:webrtc_video_engine.cc(3446)] Absent
receive stream; ignoring clearing encoded frame sink for ssrc 0
[18990:12:0116/111836.246422:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1827)] Failed
to encode frame. Error code: -7
[18990:12:0116/111834.601625:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1149)] Failed
to initialize the encoder associated with codec type: VP8 (1)

I assume that we need to include VP8 codec

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Jitsi Meet Screen Sharing with Ungoogled-Chromium
Date: 	Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:24:28 +0100
From: 	Jacob Hrbek <[email-masked]>

To: 	[email-masked]

 > Third party not a guix package

Those are not supported by GNU Guix and will be met with hostility,
because how dare you unfree scum!

---

Good thing that i ain't a bad person.. not part of GNU Guix to help! :p

Last time i tried it it worked out-of-the-box for me, i tested it now
again and also works without problem

GNU Guix (374fea0f3bc8035f626cb29e6045130df9ffdaf8) with
ungoogled-chromium-97.0.4692.71-1

Which was tested on the https://meet.jit.si instance.. Provide a
javascript console log which should have an explanation for this
failure.. My current hypothesis is that your chromium doesn't provide a
sufficient/sane TURN server and so jitsi crashes.

See
https://serverfault.com/questions/591837/how-does-chrome-webrtc-select-which-turn-server-to-use-if-multiple-options-are-g
on how to change the turn server.

..and to comply with GNU FSDG i have to tell you that using
non-ungoogled chromium and 3rd party repos is
unethical as it most
likely contains nonfree blobs which limit user freedom and contain
malware as such i am providing content of ~/.config/chromium in
attachment which should make your chromium more libre and i am also
encouraging you to use ungoogled-chromium.

EDIT: I missed the part with screensharing x.x .. on mentioned chromium
it starts printing:

[18990:23:0116/111829.036853:ERROR:webrtc_video_engine.cc(3446)] Absent
receive stream; ignoring clearing encoded frame sink for ssrc 0
[18990:12:0116/111836.246422:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1827)] Failed
to encode frame. Error code: -7
[18990:12:0116/111834.601625:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1149)] Failed
to initialize the encoder associated with codec type: VP8 (1)

in the console when i have screenshare and when someone joins and the
screen share changes to a black screen so i believe that this is a bug
due to the lack of sufficient VP8 codec.

On 1/16/22 10:46, Yasuaki Kudo wrote:
> Is there any
one here who uses Jitsi Meet to share screens from Guix?  Let me know!
>
> At least in version 90 of chromium (third party, not a guix package), it used to work.
>
> With the current ungoogled-chromium on Guix, the moment someone else connects to the Jitsi session, ungooogled-chromium dies with an 'aw, snap' message.
>
> -Yasu

--
Jacob Hrbek