Subject: Re: [bug#46249] [PATCH] Update documented default PostgreSQL socket-directory
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: guix-patches--- via <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 09:31:35 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey Ben,

> It looks like the documented default for PostgreSQL's socket-directory
> variable should be "/var/run/postgresql", when it's currently
> "/var/lib/postgresql" (the data directory). I've attached a patch.
> Here's the original commit (thanks lfam for the IRC help):

That's a dumb mistake on my part, thanks for fixing it.

> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=6c0679215f4ffa534c1eb2e8c8a6e043a0c993fe
>
> Also noticed that since a recent reconfigure, my `psql` and `createdb`
> commands now need an explicit `-h /var/run/postgresql` argument to
> connect to the local database where one wasn't needed before - they look
> in /tmp by default.

Yes when the socket directory is enabled in PostgreSQL those tools try
to use it but with the default directory set to "/tmp". I have pushed a
patch on core-updates to set the default socket directory to
"/var/run/postgresql" like most of the other distributions.

In the meantime you can set the "socket-directory" field of
"postgresql-config-file" to #f to restore the previous behaviour.

Thanks,

Mathieu