Subject: Re: bug#45326: Include curl/wget (and git?) to the installation image
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 May 2021 23:47:11 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Apologies if this has been asked before, but would it be possible to
> include one of curl or wget in the installation image?
>
> It's particularly convenient to fetch authorization keys, channel specs and
> the like before installing a system.
>
> Additionally, including git (maybe git minimal?) would be great so
> synchronize Git repositories which may contain installation scripts,
> Guix configs and other dotfiles.
>
> Thoughts?

I've added wget to the %base-networking-packages list, which means it'll
be part of any Guix System starting with v1.3.0.

For git-minimal, after discussing it on IRC, it seems reasonable to
expect savvy users to be able to 'guix install git' from the
installation environment.

Closing.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Maxim