Subject: [PATCH 0/1] gnu: bitcoin-core: Update to 0.20.1.
From: Simon South <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 18:06:23 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This patch updates Bitcoin Core, the reference implementation of the Bitcoin
protocol, to 0.20.1.

I've followed the instructions[0] for verifying the downloaded source bundle,
though of course you may still want to do the same.

My changes remove an obsolete patch whose contents are now part of the
distribution. They also

- Add autoconf, automake and libtool as native inputs, as this release does
  not include a pre-generated "configure" script[1].

- Remove protobuf from the inputs, as with the removal of BIP70 support in
  version 0.20.0[2] this is no longer used[3].

- Add a phase before "build" that sets an environment variable,
  "BITCOIN_GENBUILD_NO_GIT", as recommended in the release notes[4], to
  indicate the build is not being made from within a git repository. (This
  isn't really necessary, since the section of code this variable
  controls---in share/genbuild.sh---will be skipped anyway without git
  available in the container. But I've added it for certainty and
  completeness.)

I've built this successfully on x86-64 and AArch64, and am using it now on
AArch64 without issue.

[0] https://bitcoincore.org/en/download/#verify-your-download
[1] https://bitcoincore.org/en/releases/0.20.1/#known-bugs
[2] https://bitcoincore.org/en/releases/0.20.0/#build-system
[3] https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19058
[4] https://bitcoincore.org/en/releases/0.20.1/#known-bugs

--
Simon South
[email-masked]

Simon South (1):
  gnu: bitcoin-core: Update to 0.20.1.

 gnu/local.mk                                  |  1 -
 gnu/packages/finance.scm                      | 18 ++++++++----
 .../patches/bitcoin-core-python-compat.patch  | 28 -------------------
 3 files changed, 13 insertions(+), 34 deletions(-)
 delete mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/bitcoin-core-python-compat.patch

--
2.28.0