Subject: 27.0.91; Advice error for interactive commands
From: Yuan Fu <[email-masked]>
To: Bug Report Emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 21:58:25 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To reproduce the issue, evaluate

(advice-add 'backward-delete-char-untabify :after 'ignore)

and hit backspace (which should call backward-delete-char-untabify), and
an error occurs: apply: Wrong number of arguments: (1 . 2), 0

Backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-number-of-arguments (1 . 2) 0)
  #f(compiled-function (arg &optional killp) "Delete characters backward, changing tabs into spaces.\nThe exact behavior depends on `backward-delete-char-untabify-method'.\nDelete ARG chars, and kill (save in kill ring) if KILLP is non-nil.\nInteractively, ARG is the prefix arg (default 1)\nand KILLP is t if a prefix arg was specified." (interactive "*p\nP") #<bytecode 0x1ffc4145c759>)()
  apply(#f(compiled-function (arg &optional killp) "Delete characters backward, changing tabs into spaces.\nThe exact behavior depends on `backward-delete-char-untabify-method'.\nDelete ARG chars, and kill (save in kill ring) if KILLP is non-nil.\nInteractively, ARG is the prefix arg (default 1)\nand KILLP is t if a prefix arg was specified." (interactive "*p\nP") #<bytecode 0x1ffc4145c759>) nil)
  backward-delete-char-untabify()
  funcall-interactively(backward-delete-char-untabify)
  call-interactively(backward-delete-char-untabify nil nil)
  command-execute(backward-delete-char-untabify)

In GNU Emacs 27.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin19.5.0, NS appkit-1894.50 Version 10.15.5 (Build 19F101))
of 2020-07-28 built on Brown
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.5

Recent messages:
Loading uniquify...done
Loading electric...done
Loading emacs-lisp/eldoc...done
Loading cus-start...done
Loading tooltip...done
Loading /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/leim/leim-list.el (source)...done
Finding pointers to doc strings...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading loadup.el (source)...done
Mark set [2 times]
apply: Wrong number of arguments: (1 . 2), 0
Configured using:
'configure --with-modules --with-pdumper=yes
--oldincludedir=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/libxml2/
--with-ns
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/zlib/1.2.8/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
RSVG DBUS GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
XIM NS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_CN.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/mail/metamail hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/obsolete/metamail
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/sb-image hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/obsolete/sb-image

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
tooltip cus-start eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 269358 17394)
(symbols 48 20582 1)
(strings 32 55830 2233)
(string-bytes 1 2366984)
(vectors 16 51368)
(vector-slots 8 1408784 68426)
(floats 8 184 73)
(intervals 56 234 0)
(buffers 1000 11))