Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Enable udev support in SDL2 and bump version
From: Timotej Lazar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 15:05:19 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

these patches update sdl2 to the latest release and enable udev support.
Without udev I experienced freezes every few seconds in certain games
(for instance hedgewars and supertux) as SDL searched through /dev/input
for joysticks.

Since libudev is dlopened, I add it to rpath in make-flags. During build
this overrides LDFLAGS from the base package’s configure-flags, which
add mesa to rpath. AFAICT this is OK as sdl2 already includes mesa by
linking libgbm.

(Perhaps we could move LDFLAGS to make-flags in the base package, and
make the override explicit in the derived package? Or have sdl2 find and
modify the LDFLAGS entry from the base configure-flags, but that seems
more trouble than it’s worth.)

I was able to rebuild all dependent packages with no (new) failures. I
ran several games and everything appears OK, but I don’t have a joystick
or gamepad to try.

There have been some issues in the past with SDL not finding (correct)
libraries¹, so it would be good to test this on a foreign Guix install.
As for the version bump, the changelog² doesn’t mention any significant
changes except for hidapi support, which is disabled by default.

Thanks!
Timotej

¹ https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-03/msg00585.html
² https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/file/355a4f94a782/WhatsNew.txt

Timotej Lazar (2):
  gnu: sdl2: Use udev to discover input devices.
  gnu: sdl2: Update to 2.0.12.

 gnu/local.mk                                |  1 -
 gnu/packages/patches/sdl2-mesa-compat.patch | 21 ----------------
 gnu/packages/sdl.scm                        | 27 ++++++++++++---------
 3 files changed, 16 insertions(+), 33 deletions(-)
 delete mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/sdl2-mesa-compat.patch

-- 
2.25.1