Subject: Re: bug#34006: Guix gc killed live roots - broke git
From: [email-masked]
To: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 11:02:16 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 2019-01-08 07:50, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> swedebugia <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> On 2019-01-07 12:31, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>>>
>>>> $ git pull swedebugia
>>>> fatal: unable to fork
>>>>
>>>> Stracing it reveals that it is missing something (see full attached):
>>>
>>> Where do you see that?
>>
>> Ah, sorry the full command was:
>> strace git pull swedebugia
> 
> I looked at the strace output you provided, and didn't find any evidence
> of a missing file, which I doubt would lead to the error message "unable
> to fork" anyway.  The short excerpt that you quoted in your earlier mail
> showed the failure to find "/etc/ld.so.preload", but that's expected,
> and does not indicate a problem.  The problem might be happening in the
> child process (/home/sdb/.guix-profile/libexec/git-core/git), so adding
> the -f option to strace, i.e. "strace -f git pull swedebugia", might
> yield more useful information.
> 
> If I'm not mistaken, "unable to fork" more likely indicates a lack of
> available resources, possibly due to configured resource limits (see
> ulimit(3) and the 'ulimit' bash builtin, e.g. try "ulimit -a").
> Otherwise, I guess it could be due to restrictions imposed by the use of
> a security framework.

Tried again with "strace -f" and got this:

stat("/home/sdb/.guix-profile/libexec/git-core/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/gnu/store/6ff29rxibnfzabp17qj3mzpc8jggrmsn-profile/bin/ssh",
0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/gnu/store/6ff29rxibnfzabp17qj3mzpc8jggrmsn-profile/sbin/ssh",
0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/sdb/.local/bin;/home/sdb/.guix-profile/bin/ssh",
0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/sdb/.guix-profile/sbin/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
stat("/run/setuid-programs/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
stat("/home/sdb/.config/guix/current/bin/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/sdb/.guix-profile/bin/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
stat("/home/sdb/.guix-profile/sbin/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
stat("/run/current-system/profile/bin/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT
(No such file or directory)
stat("/run/current-system/profile/sbin/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT
(No such file or directory)
close(14)                               = 0

So installing ssh might be a good idea >D

Solved! :D

-- 
Cheers 
Swedebugia